This Agreement is between “The Designer”, Michelle Marin Design Studio LLC (DBA
The Parties are exploring the possibility of engaging in one or more mutually beneficial business relationships (collectively, the “Business Relationship”). The Parties recognize that in the course of their discussions to further the Business Relationship, it will be necessary for each Party to disclose to the other certain Confidential Information (as defined below). Each Party desires to set forth the terms that apply to such Confidential Information.
NOW, THEREFORE, for and in consideration of the foregoing, of the promises and covenants set forth herein, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, the Parties do hereby agree as follows:
- The Parties shall (i) use reasonable efforts to maintain the confidentiality of the information and materials, whether oral, written or in any form whatsoever, of the other that may be reasonably understood, from legends, the nature of such information itself and/or the circumstances of such information’s disclosure, to be confidential and/or proprietary thereto or to third parties to which either of them owes a duty of nondisclosure (collectively, “Confidential Information”); (ii) take reasonable action in connection therewith, including without limitation at least the action that each takes to protect the confidentiality of its comparable proprietary assets; (iii) to the extent within their respective possession and/or control, upon termination of this Agreement for any reason, immediately return to the provider thereof all Confidential Information not licensed or authorized to be used or enjoyed after termination or expiration hereof, and (iv) with respect to any person to which disclosure is contemplated, require such person to execute an agreement providing for the treatment of Confidential Information set forth in clauses (i) through (iii). The foregoing shall not require separate written agreements with employees and agents already subject to written agreements substantially conforming to the requirements of this Section nor with legal counsel, certified public accountants, or other professional advisers under a professional obligation to maintain the confidences of clients.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, the obligation of a person to protect the confidentiality of any information or materials shall terminate as to any information or materials which: (i) are, or become, public knowledge through no act or failure to act of such person; (ii) are publicly disclosed by the proprietor thereof; (iii) are lawfully obtained without obligations of confidentiality by such person from a third party after reasonable inquiry regarding the authority of such third party to possess and divulge the same; (iv) are independently developed by such person from sources or through persons that such person can demonstrate had no access to Confidential Information; or (v) are lawfully known by such person at the time of disclosure other than by reason of discussions with or disclosures by the Parties.
- All Confidential Information delivered pursuant to this Agreement shall be and remain the property of the disclosing Party, and any documents containing or reflecting the Confidential Information, and all copies thereof, shall be promptly returned to the disclosing Party upon written request, or destroyed at the disclosing Party’s option. Nothing herein shall be construed as granting or conferring any rights by license or otherwise, express or implied, regarding any idea made, conceived or acquired prior to or after the Effective Date, nor as granting any right with respect to the use or marketing of any product or service. The Parties shall use the Confidential Information only for the Business Relationship.
The obligations of the Parties under this Agreement shall continue and survive the completion or abandonment of the Business Relationship and shall remain binding for a period of two (2) years from the Effective Date.
- As a violation by either Party of this Agreement could cause irreparable injury to the other Party and as there is no adequate remedy at law for such violation, the non-breaching Party may, in addition to any other remedies available to it at law or in equity, enjoin the breaching Party in a court of equity for violating or threatening to violate this Agreement. In the event either Party is required to enforce this Agreement through legal action, then it will be entitled to recover from the other Party all costs incurred thereby, including without limitation, reasonable attorney’s fees.
- Neither Party makes any representation or warranty with respect to any Confidential Information disclosed by it, nor shall either Party or any of their respective representatives have any liability hereunder with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any Confidential Information or the use thereof. 6. Any provision of this Agreement held or determined by a court (or other legal authority) of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable in any jurisdiction shall be deemed separate, distinct and independent, and shall be ineffective to the extent of such holding or determination without (i) invalidating the remaining provisions of this Agreement in that jurisdiction or (ii) affecting the legality, validity or enforceability of such provision in any other jurisdiction.
- Any notice required or permitted to be given hereunder shall be (a) in writing, (b) effective on the first business day following the date of receipt, and (c) delivered by one of the following means: (i) by personal delivery; (ii) by prepaid, overnight package delivery or courier service; or (iii) by the United States Postal Service, first class, certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid. All notices given under this Agreement shall be addressed to the addresses stated at the outset of this Agreement, or to new or additional addresses as the Parties may be advised in writing.
- This Agreement is to be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Texas
. Neither Party shall be deemed to waive any of its rights, powers or remedies hereunder unless such waiver is in writing and signed by said Party. This Agreement is binding upon and inure to the benefit of the Parties and their successor and assigns.
- This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement and understanding of the Parties with respect to the subject matter hereof, and is intended as the Parties’ final expression and complete and exclusive statement of the terms thereof, superseding all prior or contemporaneous agreements, representations, promises and understandings, whether written or oral. Neither Party is to be bound by any pre-printed terms appearing in the other Party’s form documents, tariffs, purchase orders, quotations, acknowledgments, invoices, or other instruments. This Agreement may be amended or modified only by an instrument in writing signed by both Parties.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties have caused this Agreement to be executed by their duly authorized officers on the day and year first above written. Michelle Marin) and the second party.
WHEREAS the designer and the Second Party (the “Parties”) have an interest in participating in discussions wherein either Party might share information with the other that the disclosing Party considers to be proprietary and confidential to itself (“Confidential Information”); and
WHEREAS the Parties agree that Confidential Information of a Party might include, but not be limited to that Party’s: (1) business plans, methods, and practices; (2) personnel, customers, and suppliers; (3) inventions, processes, methods, products, patent applications, and other proprietary rights; or (4) specifications, drawings, sketches, models, samples, tools, computer programs, technical information, or other related information;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Parties agree as follows:
- Either Party may disclose Confidential Information to the other Party in confidence provided that the disclosing Party identifies such information as proprietary and confidential either by marking it, in the case of written materials, or, in the case of information that is disclosed orally or written materials that are not marked, by notifying the other Party of the proprietary and confidential nature of the information, such notification to be done orally, by e-mail or written correspondence, or via other means of communication as might be appropriate.
- When informed of the proprietary and confidential nature of Confidential Information that has been disclosed by the other Party, the receiving Party (“Recipient”) shall, for a period of three (3) years from the date of disclosure, refrain from disclosing such Confidential Information to any contractor or other third party without prior, written approval from the disclosing Party and shall protect such Confidential Information from inadvertent disclosure to a third party using the same care and diligence that the Recipient uses to protect its own proprietary and confidential information, but in no case less than reasonable care. The Recipient shall ensure that each of its employees, officers, directors, or agents who has access to Confidential Information disclosed under this Agreement is informed of its proprietary and confidential nature and is required to abide by the terms of this Agreement. The Recipient of Confidential Information disclosed under this Agreement shall promptly notify the disclosing Party of any disclosure of such Confidential Information in violation of this Agreement or of any subpoena or other legal process requiring production or disclosure of said Confidential Information.
- All Confidential Information disclosed under this Agreement shall be and remain the property of the disclosing Party and nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed as granting or conferring any rights to such Confidential Information on the other Party. The Recipient shall honor any request from the disclosing Party to promptly return or destroy all copies of Confidential Information disclosed under this Agreement and all notes related to such Confidential Information. The Parties agree that the disclosing Party will suffer irreparable injury if its Confidential Information is made public, released to a third party, or otherwise disclosed in breach of this Agreement and that the disclosing Party shall be entitled to obtain injunctive relief against a threatened breach or continuation of any such breach and, in the event of such breach, an award of actual and exemplary damages from any court of competent jurisdiction.
- The terms of this Agreement shall not be construed to limit either Party’s right to develop independently or acquire products without use of the other Party’s Confidential Information. The disclosing party acknowledges that the Recipient may currently or in the future be developing information internally, or receiving information from other parties, that is similar to the Confidential Information. Nothing in this Agreement will prohibit the Recipient from developing or having developed for it products, concepts, systems or techniques that are similar to or compete with the products, concepts, systems or techniques contemplated by or embodied in the Confidential Information provided that the Recipient does not violate any of its obligations under this Agreement in connection with such development.
- Notwithstanding the above, the Parties agree that information shall not be deemed Confidential Information and the Recipient shall have no obligation to hold in confidence such information, where such information:
- Is already known to the Recipient, having been disclosed to the Recipient by a third party without such third party having an obligation of confidentiality to the disclosing Party; or
- Is or becomes publicly known through no wrongful act of the Recipient, its employees, officers, directors, or agents; or
- Is independently developed by the Recipient without reference to any Confidential Information disclosed hereunder; or
- Is approved for release (and only to the extent so approved) by the disclosing Party; or
- Is disclosed pursuant to the lawful requirement of a court or governmental agency or where required by operation of law.
- Nothing in this Agreement shall be construed to constitute an agency, partnership, joint venture, or other similar relationship between the Parties.
- Neither Party will, without prior approval of the other Party, make any public announcement of or otherwise disclose the existence or the terms of this Agreement.
- This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the Parties and in no way creates an obligation for either Party to disclose information to the other Party or to enter into any other agreement.
- This Agreement shall remain in effect for a period of two (2) years from the Effective Date unless otherwise terminated by either Party giving notice to the other of its desire to terminate this Agreement. The requirement to protect Confidential Information disclosed under this Agreement shall survive termination of this Agreement.